Summary of OpenBMC Hackathon Event @ Google Jan 2018

Nancy Yuen yuenn at google.com
Thu Jan 18 17:49:35 AEDT 2018

Last week, the my team at Google hosted over 30 people from 9 organizations
for an OpenBMC hackathon at Google's Sunnyvale office.  Don't worry if you
missed this event.  We will be holding another community event in the next
3-6 momths, either a hackathon or a conference or something in between.
Details will be posted to this mailing list when they're available.

There were many great accomplishments during the hackathon.  A few
achievements off the top of my head:

   - Formed the OpenBMC Technical Steering Committee
   <https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/README.md> (scroll down to
   the bottom)
   - Assembled a preliminary roadmap
   <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rPbZUmPYcqJRHYzlEn9oJyN_ZM40UVpR3_fXSxaIngg>
    based on the top priorities of participating organizations
   - Facebook brought up OpenBMC on 1 of their 3 platforms  (a second was
   close to booting)
   - Nuvoton worked with IBM's Linux team to fix up and send the Poleg clk
   driver for review
   - IBM and Intel collaborated
   <https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2018-January/010432.html> to
   add Clang format coding standard validation to the CI job and gerrit in
   OpenBMC

There were other accomplishments, please feel free to reply with the ones
that I missed!

We wanted a face to face event to help build relationships and open
communications.  So in addition to hacking projects, we held a series of
technical sessions to help everyone sync on requirements, use cases, and
implementations that are done or in progress.  Here are some sessions we
held, including notes/slides that have been shared with me.

   - Joel Stanley @ IBM: OpenBMC Kernel
   <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sY3FpzqNzfrtNXY8NfPe_EOdOnLuTM-e3AFiujF0piY>
   , KCS Kernel driver
   <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IWk51Pq0OpHXooveOzU00SRUkXdMFwzZzhgT51ckL14>
   , firmware updates
   <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xO3Vl_M5sY3lcCAAM3noBtleH1d9xk-bwqxzVbTX36o>
   - Vernon Mauery @ Intel: KVM and virtual media <https://goo.gl/h4LBtg>
   - James Fiest @ Intel: Runtime Platform Configuration
   <https://github.com/feistjj/docs/blob/master/platform_configuration.md>
   - Andrew Jeffrey @ IBM: Kernel and U-boot Development
   <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bUGd061DGZEUGGfcum7h-QlLoUBbqCrmPoPhm5ZKmAc>
   , OpenBMC Testing
   <https://drive.google.com/open?id=158n0ZcUGxOv_dHFjix56xBeZyPeBH8ogF_zqx0haOaU>
   , Linux kernel support for BMCs
   <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VIoaeSjaOyet1ZTBvY3J_Wgx1668Oah6y6RZQsAzup0>
   - Dong Wei @ Arm: PLDM MCTP
   <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sC3xYFgnBwu1XfhUINcjmTjzZZM6hzLk>
   - Michael Brown @ Dell: Non-root daemons & least priviledge
   <https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2018-January/010446.html>
   - Michael Brown @ Dell: SELinux
   - Brendan Higgins @ Google: gMocks and unit testing

The full schedule can be viewed here <https://goo.gl/xYCLS3>.

Organizations that sent representatives:

   - Arm
   - Aspeed
   - Dell
   - Facebook
   - IBM
   - Intel
   - Microsoft
   - Nuvoton
   - Qualcomm

People traveled from across the US, and as far away as Taiwan, Australia,
and India to attend.  Thank you everyone for making the trip to Google for
the hackathon!