Introducing IPMI Maintainer Staff

Emily Shaffer emilyshaffer at google.com
Thu Jan 18 10:12:52 AEDT 2018

Hi all,

If you aren't interested in developing on IPMI, you can stop reading now.

As some of you may be aware, at the beginning
<https://github.com/openbmc/docs/commit/fa258d825e289c9d82d4d891562e355173a439a5>
of January, myself, Tom Joseph, and Vernon Mauery volunteered to become
maintainers on the IPMI stack.  We'd like to share with you some more
details on how this maintainership is going to function moving forward;
these same details will very soon be added into READMEs in the relevant
IPMI repositories (ipmitool, ipmi-fru-parser, phosphor-host-ipmid,
phosphor-net-ipmid, and openpower-host-ipmi-oem).

For ipmitool, ipmi-fru-parser, phosphor-host-ipmid, and phosphor-net-ipmid,
all three of us are maintainers:

- All code reviews for any of these repositories must be made available for
review for a minimum of 48 hours to allow for visibility, and must be
approved by at least two maintainers.  If any maintainer objects to the
code with a -1, the concern must be addressed before the code review can be
approved.  Please add all three of us as reviewers on any commits for any
of these repos.  If you're a reviewer on a code review under any of these
repos and notice the submitter didn't add any or all of the maintainers,
feel free to add us yourself.  This means that Brad Bishop will no longer
be the final gate for new code going into these IPMI repositories; if you
think your review has adequate approval but you haven't been cleared
with +2, it's appropriate to ping one or more of the three of us on IRC.

- Include tests with your code reviews wherever possible.  We will be
requiring tests for new IPMI commands to demonstrate that they work as
expected.  In the coming weeks or so we will be working on bringing up a
clear unit testing infrastructure within these repos; we will also accept a
test added to the Robot testing suite here:
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc-test-automation linked within the
changeset description.

- Design discussions should be carried out initially via email with the
three of us, and the OpenBMC list if desired.  For architectural or design
decisions, the three of us will need to agree unanimously on the correct
approach.  If we are unable to do so, we will escalate the decision to the
Technical Steering Committee to determine the best path forward.

For openpower-host-ipmi-oem, Tom Joseph will be the sole maintainer.  All
changelists and design decisions will be at his discretion and he should be
the final approver.

The maintainers are located in Pacific Time Zone and India Time Zone.  We
have a conference every other week on Tuesday evening Pacific/Wednesday
morning India; if you wish to discuss something with us, let someone know
on IRC at least 12 hours ahead of time and you will be welcome to join the
call.  We will be mailing out a brief summary of what's discussed at the
meetings afterwards (I'll be sending the summary from yesterday's call
shortly after this).

All three of us are generally present during our appropriate working hours
on IRC and email, and will be happy to address any questions or concerns.
Feel free to contact us:

Tom Joseph: tomjose at linux.vnet.ibm.com or IRC handle tomjoseph
Vernon Mauery: vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com or IRC handle vmauery
Emily Shaffer: emilyshaffer at google.com or IRC handle emilyshaffer

We're looking forward to working with the community!

Emily, Tom, and Vernon