OpenBMC community telecon - 11/27 Agenda

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Sun Jan 7 04:33:25 AEDT 2018

> On Jan 6, 2018, at 11:57 AM, Michael E Brown <Michael.E.Brown at dell.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 10:58:04AM -0600, Michael E Brown wrote:

>>> I fully support your direction with the "run each daemon as its own user"
>>> policy. Almost nothing should be running as root anymore.
>>
>> Looks like I need to do some builds and look at this, as I'm operating off old
>> information then.
>
> We updated our openbmc tree to the latest upstream as of the beginning of Dec, so we are a few weeks out. But I am seeing a discrepancy here when I went and looked that I'd like to figure out. I logged into a build of openbmc running on our development hardware and literally everything in the system is running as root with the exception of DBUS and two systemd daemons. Are we missing something here?
>
> After seeing the processes all running as root in our build, I examined the service files in the openbmc git repository. I'm looking at the openbmc git repo, and picked some things at random:
>
> https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/meta-phosphor/common/recipes-phosphor/leds/phosphor-led-manager/obmc-fru-fault-monitor.service
>
> https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/meta-phosphor/common/recipes-phosphor/leds/phosphor-led-manager/xyz.openbmc_project.LED.GroupManager.service
>
> https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/meta-phosphor/common/recipes-phosphor/gpio/phosphor-gpio-monitor/phosphor-gpio-monitor%40.service
>
> https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/meta-phosphor/common/recipes-phosphor/gpio/phosphor-gpio-monitor/phosphor-gpio-presence%40.service
>
> I examined others as well. None of these files have a User= or Group= directive.
>
> You can do a "ps -ef | grep phosphor" and see that the second column shows that all of the phosphor processes are running as root, including the web server and processes that listen on the network. This is all very concerning and at odds with anything resembling good security practice.
>
> What am I missing here? You said above, "nothing should be running as root anymore", but I very clearly see literally everything running as root. I have a feeling that I am missing something important.

You aren’t missing anything.  I think what Vernon meant was, in 2018, software
stacks should not be running everything as root.

Everyone wants this, it just hasn’t been enough of a priority for anyone
such that it hasn’t been fixed yet.  It should have been done this way in
the first place.  But it wasn’t, so here we are.

FWIW I did add some code to obmc-phosphor-systemd.bbclass quite some time ago
such that configuring a service to run as non-root is trivial, as far as systemd
unit and user/group database configuration goes.  It isn’t used anywhere because
the other side of it is writing the udev rules (or however you want to make sure
the devices have the correct permissions).  I also put code in
obmc-phosphor-dbus-service.bbclass for easy configuration of restrictive dbus
scope permissions that might help with that aspect as well.