contributor license agreement (CLA)

Paul Menzel pmenzel at molgen.mpg.de
Thu Feb 15 01:51:26 AEDT 2018

Dear Brad,

Thank you for your response.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m61YH8GSzQpYVt5YG95fb2QNy1Gs--1-oLD3znqPNQw

>>> Please work with your legal team (if using the corporate CLA) or
>>> sign the individual CLA now and send them to me to avoid any
>>> delays in your development work flow when the transfer occurs.
>>
>> Could you please elaborate, why CLAs are needed?
>
> I am not a lawyer but my understanding is that it protects the users
> of OpenBMC from a contribution to the project by a contributor that
> did not have the necessary grants to make the submission in the
> first place.  I found this page to provide a good layman's overview
> of the benefits: http://oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/cla

Thank you for the URL, but, unfortunately, it doesn’t answer the
question what the advantage over the Linux kernel [1] procedure is.

>> The Linux Kernel is under the umbrella of the Linux Foundation, and
>> no CLAs are needed there. CLAs are a great burden, as the legal
>> department gets involved,
>
> There are successful Linux Foundation projects that do have CLAs.
> While I can't argue that signing doesn't add any delays, use of the
> corporate CLA will minimize this effort to a one-time-only cost and
> lower the risk associated with using the project for our users.
>
>> and should be avoided at all costs, as contributors want to
>> advance OpenBMC and not do paperwork.

Brad, who decided, that CLA are a requirement? To my knowledge, CLAs are
only needed, if you think about changing the license in the future.
Besides that, there is *no* advantage, and the Linux Kernel procedure
should be used. It just scares off people wanting to contribute small
fixes and improvements.

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]