BMC redundancy

Deepak Kodihalli dkodihal at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Feb 6 17:44:55 AEDT 2018

On 06/02/18 11:40 am, Michael E Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 01:10:43PM -0800, Vernon Mauery wrote:
>> On 02-Feb-2018 11:18 AM, Andrew Jeffery wrote:
>>> Hi Deepak,

>>> Applications can cannect to remote dbus servers; the --address option to dbus-daemon allows it to listen on a TCP socket and setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS will point applications in the right direction. So there are probably two ways we could do this:
>>
>> Putting DBus on an externally-available TCP socket is a security architect's
>> nightmare. All command and control of the entire BMC is done over DBus; we
>> cannot put that on an externally-available address. I suppose if you have an
>> internal connection and switching fabric between the nodes, this would be
>> possible.
>
> Vernon, I completely and wholeheartedly agree with this assessment. Most of the
> things I've heard so far start way too high up in the stack and try to solve
> the issue there. I believe that we ought to start at the networking layer and
> build up from there.
>
> Here is a dump of my thoughts related to what we talked about on the conference
> call.
>
> Step 0: Internal network
> 	Definition: This is a private network that is internal to a chassis and
> cannot be attached via the external world. This does not make this network
> implicitly secure, however. I would strongly suggest that we create standards
> for addressing this network and how components communicate at the IP level
> between BMCs.
> 	Proposal: all nodes on this network use IPv6 SLAAC, with a designation
> for one or a redundant pair of nodes running "radvd" to provide stable
> site-local address space assignments.
>
> Step 1: Discovery
> 	Definition: This is how you figure out that there are other BMCs on the
> internal network. Zeroconf/Avahi/MDNS are three names for one method. This also
> includes figuring out which role any specific node may fill (chassis-level BMC
> vs node-level BMC, for example).
> 	Proposal: MDNS DNS-SD with TXT records indicating BMC Role
>
> Step 2: Exchanging certificates
> 	Definition: To start a crypto system, one needs to exchange public
> keys, at a minimum. Other information about a machine can also be useful. Note
> that exchanging certificates does not imply "trust" of those certificates, but
> only provides the basis upon which you later decide if you trust or not.
> 	Proposal: Oauth 2.0 Dynamic Client Registration
>
> Step 3: Trust
> 	Definition: based on many factors, a machine decides if it trusts
> another machine. There is the implication that end-users may wish to disable
> new trust relationships from forming, but that's not a requirement. Factors
> that determine trust: 1) which network initiated connection, 2) machine
> identity certs, 3) any signatures on the machine identity certs (for example, a
> vendor signature probably implies higher trust), 4) user wishes/configuration,
> [...]

Thanks for this break-up and summary, Michael. I'm trying to collect the
factors that can help us weighing up the pros and cons of the RPC
mechanism (REST vs D-Bus vs something else). This is what I've gathered
so far :

- Some of the other layers in the picture can influence the RPC
mechanism - you've brought out the active/active vs active/standby
design, but I'm not sure if it's possible to identify an RPC mechanism
that fits all such designs, because such configurations could depend on
the system design, which can vary. So REST for example may not fit the
bill for a multi-master.
- One thing about D-Bus that people have brought up is that our
REST/Redfish API might be based around the existing D-Bus interface, so
it kind of seems natural that the same interface serves as the RPC
interface as well.
- Security aspects of D-Bus vs REST : depends on the design/mechanisms
chosen for the steps prior to RPC.
- Any other factors?

Regards,
Deepak