BMC redundancy

Vernon Mauery vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com
Sat Feb 3 08:10:43 AEDT 2018

On 02-Feb-2018 11:18 AM, Andrew Jeffery wrote:
>Hi Deepak,
>
>> So several of the existing OpenBMC apps implement specific D-Bus
>> services. What does it take to make remote D-Bus calls to such apps?
>> - It doesn't look like the D-Bus spec or libdbus officially has anything
>> for D-Bus across computers. There are some good notes at
>> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/DBusRemote/.
>
>Applications can cannect to remote dbus servers; the --address option to dbus-daemon allows it to listen on a TCP socket and setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS will point applications in the right direction. So there are probably two ways we could do this:

Putting DBus on an externally-available TCP socket is a security
architect's nightmare. All command and control of the entire BMC is done
over DBus; we cannot put that on an externally-available address. I
suppose if you have an internal connection and switching fabric between
the nodes, this would be possible.

--Vernon