Redfish on OpenBMC

Michael.E.Brown at dell.com Michael.E.Brown at dell.com
Thu Feb 1 03:46:16 AEDT 2018

So, I think that the first thing we ought to do is get a survey of the different implementations that are out there, and establish criteria for judging different implementations.

Here would be a list of questions I would have for everybody on the list. I think it would probably be best to compile all of these into a wiki page somewhere.

   - Do you have a redfish server implementation?
   - Is it Open Source?
	- If not, are you planning on open sourcing it?
	- What is the license?
	- Is it posted to github or other public source control?
   - Does it pass the DMTF redfish service validator?
   - What language is it written in?
   - How big is it?
   - Can it be easily extended/re-used by anybody else shipping compliant openbmc implementations?
	- Can you add OEM extensions to existing Redfish Resources without "forking" the codebase?
	- Can you change the implementation for a single Redfish Resource Property without forking?
	- Can you add new Redfish Resources without forking?
   - Performance
	- How fast is it?
	- Does it implement SSL?
   - Security
	- What is the security model?
	- Non-root support? Can it run as a non-privileged user?
	- Does it implement basic authentication and the redfish spec x-auth-token authentication?
	- Does it implement the redfish standard privilege map model?
   - Eventing:
	- For writing a UI on top of redfish, something like SSE is a nice-to-have to avoid polling in the browser. There are a couple of proposed SSE extensions that have not yet been approved.
		- How much work to implement SSE support to do things like watch Property changes?
	- Is the standard redfish eventing model supported?
	- Security model integrated with eventing? Do eventing records get the same security treatment as GET requests?
   - Development: can it run outside of openbmc?
   - Special sauce: is there anything not captured above that makes the implementation special in any way?

--
Michael