Linux dev-4.19

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Thu Dec 13 10:22:20 AEDT 2018

Hi Tomer,

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 at 22:29, Tomer Maimon <tmaimon77 at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, I like to apologize that there is many patches of NPCM to add, so it look quite messy...

That's fine. The NPCM team has done a good job of incrementally
upstreaming their work, and I'm sure you will continue this progress
next year.

A note for next time: turn off the HTML email for the mailing list please.

> ·         PCI Mailbox patches - The PCI mail box will not upstream, because it not build with the mailbox driver interface,
> but still OpenBMC have an application to use the miscellaneous mailbox but still OpenBMC have an application
> to use the miscellaneous mailbox.

I think we had a similar issue when attempting to upstream the ASPEED
LPC mailbox driver. The kernel has a driver model called "mailbox",
and so the reviewers assumed the hardware should use that. However it
does not fit the hardware or use case at all. We should work out a
common solution here.

> ·         ETHERNET MAC CONTROLLER (EMC) patches – the patches is on final stage of upstream work, but it is very important to us that the patches will
> add now because costumer requests that are using the OpenBMC linux.

Is this the driver that Ben offered to help rework? I strongly suggest
re-starting the conversation with him. He is very experienced with the
network stack, and will be able to help get the driver in shape for
upstream, and make it efficient.

I'll take a look at the patches below today.

Cheers,

Joel