SOL Logging

Alexander Amelkin a.amelkin at yadro.com
Wed Aug 29 21:37:13 AEST 2018

25.08.2018 00:02, Tanous, Ed wrote:

> I would like to start a discussion around the feature of SOL logging, and how to best implement it.
>

> There is a proposal here https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/phosphor-webui/+/12063/ that proposes dumping the SOL console text buffer from Javascript into a file, and presenting it to the user as a download.  On its face, it seems to work as designed.  This has some pretty severe limitations, in that you can only dump the console log from your session, and your session is essentially destroyed when you switch pages in the webui, or hit refresh.  I think this is overly limiting, and of the production BMC stacks that I know of, none of them implement SOL logging in this way.
>

> Instead, other BMCs implement it as a circular buffer inside the BMC itself, which allows SOL to log data all the time, not just while the user is logged in.  I think architecting it this way would be much more useful for admins consuming OpenBMC, and make us more useful as a solution.  Doing it this way also can make the SOL log available to IPMI and Redfish, as well as a file download, which improves the usability quite a bit.  Most places I see the SOL logging requested is for audit type purposes, which the javascript based version can’t do.
>

> I’m looking for feedback from the community here.  As written, I don’t think the javascript console export is a useful feature given its limitations.  Do others agree?  Am I off base?  Are there use models where having a log of only the current session is useful?  Should we document the limitations so we can respond to bugs in the future?

That's exactly what we have implemented in our BMC for YADRO VESNIN.
We have a circular buffer that constantly logs host console output and also preserves the first several pages of each host boot. That way we always have the last host boot "dmesg" as well as the very last few pages before the host dies (or the logs were gathered).

Alexander.