No subject

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Wed Aug 29 03:59:21 AEST 2018

> On Aug 28, 2018, at 1:34 PM, Bills, Jason M <jason.m.bills at intel.com> wrote:
>
> I just added a comment to a github discussion about the IPMI SEL and thought I should share it here as well:

Can you send a link to the issue?

> I have been working on a proof-of-concept to move the IPMI SEL entries out of D-Bus into journald instead.
>
> Since journald allows custom metadata for log entries, I've thought of having the SEL message logged to the journal and using metadata to store the necessary IPMI info associated with the entry. Here is an example of logging a type 0x02 system event entry to journald:
>
> sd_journal_send("MESSAGE=%s", message.c_str(),
>                            "PRIORITY=%i", selPriority,
>                            "MESSAGE_ID=%s", selMessageId,
>                            "IPMI_SEL_RECORD_ID=%d", recordId,
>                            "IPMI_SEL_RECORD_TYPE=%x", selSystemType,
>                            "IPMI_SEL_GENERATOR_ID=%x", genId,
>                            "IPMI_SEL_SENSOR_PATH=%s", path.c_str(),
>                            "IPMI_SEL_EVENT_DIR=%x", assert,
>                            "IPMI_SEL_DATA=%s", selDataStr,
>                            NULL);
> Using journald should allow for scaling to more SEL entries which should also enable us to support more generic IPMI behavior such as the Add SEL command.

A design point of OpenBMC from day one was to not design it around IPMI.
At a glance this feels counter to that goal.

I’m not immediately opposed to moving our error logs out of DBus, but can you provide
an extendible abstraction?  Not everyone uses SEL, or IPMI even.  At a minimum please
drop the letters ‘ipmi’ and ‘sel’ :-) from the base design, and save those for something
that translates to IPMI-speak.

As some background, our systems tend towards fewer ‘error logs’ with much more data per
log (4-16k), and yes I admit the current design is biased towards that and does not scale
when we approach 1000s of small SEL entries.

thx - brad