KVM Support?

Tanous, Ed ed.tanous at intel.com
Tue Aug 28 01:59:06 AEST 2018

> Do you have any plan to support non-jpeg video stream in obmc-iKVM?
I'm not sure about Eddie, but I don't think we have  a need for non-jpeg kvm.  With that said, everything is just running RFB underneath, so basically anything should be possible that's possible over VNC.

> It is possible some platforms don't have hardware JPEG engine, instead have
> the RGB video stream.
> If possible to support RGB video stream, I think it would be better if you can
> add the video frame differentiation in obmc-iKVM because we don't need to
> send the full screen to VNC client on every request, it can reduce the buffer
> size at least. (libvncserver already has the video frame differentiation)

While I agree it would be nice, I don't think it's a priority 1 for implementation (at least for us).  Our current AST2500 products send full buffer updates for every frame, and while in theory it's less efficient, we haven't really gotten any complaints.  With that said, if differential mode is available and works well, I'm sure we'd use it.

> Also, I have implemented a KVM application for our platform(nuvoton evb-
> npcm750) which has hardware video frame differentiation and hardware
> hextile engine.
> https://github.com/Nuvoton-Israel/obmc-ikvm
> https://github.com/Nuvoton-
> Israel/linux/commit/7e90f572323e56e9425b85aafe86dfa5a35c4e7d

Cool.

> I also enabled ED's KVM webui and added kvmws proxy in python web
> server.
> https://github.com/Nuvoton-Israel/meta-openbmc-nuvoton-
> addon/commit/140771b7e898dd5ca8f0364290cce669609088ac

I've got patches for bmcweb as well that I can get posted today.  I was really hoping to have a discussion around how we want to implement the web portion beforehand, but it looks like you've already done a lot of work, which is great.

> Regarding the larger binary size, I think we need to review all configurations
> of libvncserver and check which functions should be disabled.

I think the most important question here is how small of a binary we can get out of libvncserver, and whether or not we can afford to have an unauthenticated socket open with full control of the host system.