SOL Logging

Sai Dasari sdasari at fb.com
Sat Aug 25 10:32:14 AEST 2018

>Instead, other BMCs implement it as a circular buffer inside the BMC itself, which allows SOL to log data all the time, not just while the user is logged in.  I think architecting it this way would be much more useful for >admins consuming OpenBMC, and make us more useful as a solution.  Doing it this way also can make the SOL log available to IPMI and Redfish, as well as a file download, which improves the usability quite a bit.  Most >places I see the SOL logging requested is for audit type purposes, which the javascript based version can’t do.

+1 for this design proposal of having a circular buffer inside BMC that captures the Host’s console all the time. Couple of thoughts on this: 1) make sure these console logs are available to privileged user only (e.g. root) 2) consider the case of preserving the logs (or periodically offload from BMC) to not lose them due to BMC reboots.

>I’m looking for feedback from the community here.  As written, I don’t think the javascript console export is a useful feature given its limitations.  Do others agree?  Am I off base?  Are there use models where having a log >of only the current session is useful?  Should we document the limitations so we can respond to bugs in the future?

One possible usecase (not certain though) this feature of keeping log of only current session is for security reason where the current user’s console session log is available to only that user.