Tagging master

Alexander Amelkin a.amelkin at yadro.com
Thu Aug 23 00:41:29 AEST 2018

22.08.2018 17:12, Joel Stanley wrote:
>>> I don't follow. I was proposing we continue with the existing scheme,
>>> so the tag for today would be v2.4.
>>> products out of it. I think a tag in the git repo can exist in
>>> parallel without taking value away from the broader release branding.
>>>
>>> Please help me out if I've missed something here.
Please note that if you add any tags to master, they WILL break versioning in the software.
That is, at least IPMI `mc info` will get broken as phosphor-host-ipmid won't be able to parse a non-standard VERSION generated from a non-standard tag. It has a very limited set of supported tag formats (actually, just one).

And I don't understand what would be the profit, provided that `git describe` already gives a pretty human-friendly description like `v2.3-592-g28cd22e`, that contains simultaneously the base version tag, the number of commit since that, and an abbreviated hash. Pretty descriptive and friendly (unlike bare hash), IMO.

Alexander.