Tagging master

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Wed Aug 22 11:08:53 AEST 2018

Hello,

I would like to propose we create a tag of master.

The tags are useful for those who are working on openbmc, but also
supporting fellow developers and testers who may be working on the
host firmware, operating system or other tools like openstack. When
they have issues, a glance at the tag give us a rough idea of how old
their firmware is. As a developer, this gives me a rough idea of what
kind of issues to expect, but also how far I should dig before
suggesting "you need an update".

I suggest we use tags as a lightweight epoch in our commit history.
They don't need to carry any additional meaning beyond being easier to
pronounce than 006d86903586b1dde915f5b0d90a68fd31935095. This means
there's no garuntee that a tag contains new features, or has had any
more testing than any other commit.

Cheers,

Joel