Streaming logs via rsyslog

Ed Tanous ed.tanous at intel.com
Fri Aug 17 04:07:54 AEST 2018

On 08/16/2018 03:21 AM, Deepak Kodihalli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a requirement to forward BMC logs (the systemd journal) to an
> external logging server.
>
> We're proposing doing this by making use of rsyslog. Here are notes
> based on some initial investigation.

 From the rsyslog github page

"""
Rsyslog's main sponsor Adiscon tries to fund rsyslog by selling custom
development and support contracts. Adiscon does NOT license rsyslog
under a commercial license (this is simply impossible for anyone due to
rsyslog's license structure).
"""

I think this license makes rsyslog a non-starter for most of the people
in this project, but I'm not a license expert.  We've looked at it in
the past, and while nice to use in practice, we couldn't overcome the
license conflicts and legal implications.

Oddly enough, my team did some prototype work in this area a couple
weeks ago that I've pushed to gerrit for comment.

As part of an experiment we implemented a prototype Redfish endpoint
that exposed the journald log entries.  It seems to have worked
relatively well, and it's considerably faster than we thought it would
be.  1000 entries can be grabbed in about a second including all the TLS
overhead.

An example from my system is here:
https://imgur.com/a/vtlFvHB

The thought was that at some point we would implement server-sent
events, which is part of the Redfish 1.5.0 specification, and would
allow the logs to be streamed off the system using a pretty well defined
protocol that's not specific to OpenBMC, as well as implement pretty
decent security.  It's not directly syslog, and I can still see the use
case for having a syslog compatible mechanism for streaming.

https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/12008/