A question about submitting patches

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Sat Aug 11 12:04:31 AEST 2018

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018, at 08:17, Tao Ren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m preparing a few patches (aspeed driver fixes) for review. I’ve
> verified the patches on ast2400 and ast2500 physical hardware, and do I
> need to test the patches again on qemu (required in “openbmc/linux/wiki/
> SubmittingPatches” page) before sending out review?

Please do test in qemu. Qemu is used by the CI infrastructure to smoke test the build before applying it to hardware. You shouldn't limit your drivers to what's supported by qemu, but you should understand before you send out the patches whether there might be some spurious failures. For instance some releases of the ASPEED SDK spin on initialisation bits that aren't properly modelled by qemu, and hang as a result. We should fix qemu in these instances, but again it's good to know before you send whether the patches will cause it issues.

There's some relatively straight forward documentation on how to use qemu in the docs repo, so it shouldn't be much of an effort to set up. Certainly Joel and I test our u-boot and kernel changes with it and find it very useful for rapid feedback.

Cheers,

Andrew