Managing openbmc with subtree

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Fri Aug 10 06:16:32 AEST 2018

> On Aug 8, 2018, at 6:14 PM, Dave Cobbley <david.j.cobbley at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>

>>> On Aug 7, 2018, at 1:16 PM, Dave Cobbley <david.j.cobbley at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I do agree that we can find a scriptable solution to this, however, I feel using the OWNERS plugin provides a much easier workflow for all developers, i.e. nothing changes from their perspective.
>> Hrm, while I agree that the OWNERS plugin preserves the existing workflow
>> I’m not convinced that is the best path forward.
> I suppose it does only give us one of the two goals, where as moving straight to subtrees fulfills all of the goals.

>> I still have these concerns.
> I understand your concerns and agree

Is this an agreement to my proposed workflow?

For reference the proposal was distro hackers could have an openbmc/openbmc repo
with multiple remotes, one for the distro and one for each subtree and then:

> - Here is what I would propose for the subtree folder structure:
>
> Splat * represents a subtree
>
> Yocto & more:
> import-layers/
>     *meta-openembedded/
>     *meta-virtualization/
>     *poky/
>     *meta-security/

Would it make sense to put meta-* directly in the root, along with all our other
subtrees?  I don’t see the point in calling them out as upstream trees - I’d like
to see some or all of our project meta trees become hosted elsewhere someday,
much in the same way as meta-virt for example.

> BSP:
> meta-openbmc-bsp/
>    *meta-ibm/
>    *meta-aspeed/
>    *meta-nuvoton/
>    *meta-raspberrypi/

lgtm

> MACHINES:
> meta-openbmc-machines/
>    meta-arm/
>        *meta-qualcomm/
>    meta-openpower/
>        * meta-ibm/
>        * meta-ingrasys/
>        * meta-inventec/
>        * meta-rackspace/
>    meta-x86/
>        *meta-intel/
>        *meta-mellanox/
>        *meta-portwell/
>        *meta-quanta/

I’d like to get away from this and just put the company subtrees at the root.
That way meta-xyzcorp could support both an x86 and an arm server.

> REFERENCE:
> meta-phosphor/

I’d suggest the arch metas here, at the root.  Honestly I’d like to get to a point
where all the arch layers are just merged into meta-phosphor and we can say
meta-phosphor supports x86, power, and arm servers (along with TORSes).  But we can
save that for another day.

> -Dave

So to net these all out:

*poky/