UART Route setting

Oskar Senft osk at google.com
Thu Aug 2 02:16:35 AEST 2018

Hi Henbin

It's funny that you ask, since I had just started to look into the same
problem.

I'd like to change the UART routing on an AST2500 when a client connects to
the obmc-console-server. The use case is to dynamically connect the host's
UART to a UART owned by the BMC.

I was thinking of writing a kernel driver that would expose the config
options from the HICRA register on AST2500 as /sys files. Each file
represents the target UART1..5 and IO1..5. The file value represents the
source UART1..5 and IO1..5. Not all combinations are supported by the
Aspeed, so I'd add the necessary checks and error reporting into the code.

An alternative would be to just use /dev/mem to do that, but my
understanding is that default support for that is going away or has gone
away.

Oskar.