Supporting insecure protocols in RMCP+

Vernon Mauery vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com
Wed Apr 25 04:26:56 AEST 2018

On 24-Apr-2018 01:41 PM, Brad Bishop wrote:

>>> I agree.
>>>
>>> However, if someone came along and tried to add this back in
>>> (proving that there is at least one user in the world),
>>> I would let them (provided its opt-in behavior).
>>
>> I would push back.
>
>Why?  What does the project (or anyone) have to gain by making it harder
>for someone to use OpenBMC to meet their needs by requiring them to have
>out-of-tree patches or forks?

Why would we want to support insecure protocols? This doesn't make any
sense. We happily move on to the next version of web browser or openssl
when a new vulnerability is found. Nobody would insist that we must
support ROT13 as a symmetric cipher because they know it is nonsense.
And thus my next point.

>> Education is the fix, not less security.
>
>The fix to what exactly?  Customer requirements?  Not everyone is willing
>to say no to their customers.  I don’t think it is always (or even usually)
>ignorance that leads to these kind of shortcuts.

Sometimes customers do need to understand that their requirements are
unsafe. It is up to the engineers who understand the security
implications that may not be obvious to the people who write the
requirements.

>> Call me an idealist.
>
>And call me a pragmatic.  I think if you apply this mode of thinking too
>often, there won’t be anyone left working on your code with you.  But hey,
>at least it will be _impossible_ for anyone to ever use it in an insecure
>manner.

No, I don't believe that is true. People want quality and security. Now
more than ever. No company wants their name in the headlines saying they
suffered a security breach. The BMC is in that fray and OpenBMC needs to
be at the front of the drive for secure coding and security standards. I
want people to use OpenBMC because they can trust it.

>> Even then, if they just could not live without it, it would have to be done in a way that it can be compiled out by default.
>
>Of course this is reasonable.  There is a _huge_ difference between default
>behavior and no choice in behavior.

And yes, I would accept code that was compiled out by default if someone
really needed it. But first, I would take the time to talk them off the
edge first.

--Vernon