Sensor readings as 1-byte

James Feist james.feist at linux.intel.com
Sat Apr 21 04:19:07 AEST 2018

On 04/19/2018 06:30 PM, guhan balasubramanian wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Thank you for the reference implementation.
> I see that you are using the GetAttributes function in sensorutils.cpp,
> that accepts the Min and Max value and outputs mValue, bValue, rExp and
> bExp. This is exactly what I was looking for.
>
> I still had some concerns, can you please help with the following,
>
> 1. When I plug in values from Tom's example (in this thread), I don't
> seem to get the expected values for B. When min and max are (-127 ,
> 128), I am getting M=1 and B=-1 (including bSigned) where according to
> Tom's calculation, it is M=1 and B=-127. Am I interpreting the output of
> B correctly?

Hi Guhan, in the algorithm in that example, the goal is a best fit
around 0. If you look at byte 21 of the type 1 sdr you can see that you
can specify the number format as unsigned, 1's complement, or 2's
complement. If we want to maximize the number of possible readings for
an 8 bit range of 255 we want to set M such that it is as low as
possible. This is so that the jumps between each 8 bit reading are as
small as possible based on the standard slope equation y = Mx+B. Since
the range of a signed bit using 2's complement is from -128 to 127 it is
shifting the slope equation by 1 (B = -1), and keeping M as 1. Hope this
helps!

> 2. Any reference document/spec for this algorithm, if available, would
> be really helpful.

Sorry, I don't really have a reference document. I just used the
equation in section 36.3 of the IPMI spec:

y = L[(Mx + (B * 10^k1)) * 10^k2]