Domains (was: Migration to new gerrit server is coming)

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Fri Apr 20 01:18:42 AEST 2018

> On Apr 19, 2018, at 9:43 AM, Alexander Amelkin <a.amelkin at yadro.com> wrote:
>

> 03.04.2018 18:30, Andrew Geissler wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Joel Stanley <joel at jms.id.au> wrote:
>>> Do we have plans to use the gerrit.openbmc.org domain instead?
>> In order to reduce what's changing with this first migration, I'll
>> keep the old name but yes, Brad got me in touch with someone from the
>> Linux Foundation and long term we'll be moving to something like
>> gerrit.openbmc.org.
> I'm kind of lost with all these domains…

Understandable :-)

> I remember we have an ongoing effort to move all d-bus stuff from
> org.openbmc to xyz.openbmc-project.

In the early days of this project, org.openbmc was used for DBus naming.  At a
later date, we stumbled onto this in the DBus specification:

    Interface names should start with the reversed DNS domain name of the
    author of the interface (in lower-case), like interface names in Java.

but openbmc.org was not available.  So the effort to move all dbus names
from org-openbmc to xyz-openbmc_project was born.

Fast forward to today, and openbmc.org has been donated to the project
by the prior owner (thanks Facebook!)

> Now you're saying we'll be moving gerrit to openbmc.org…

I’m not sure _moving_ is the correct word.  I’d guess that gerrit.openbmc_project.xyz
will be a CNAME for openbmc.org for some amount of time.  Right Andrew?

> What is the official domain for openbmc now?

What do we want it to be?  I’d vote for openbmc.org.  Unless someone
argues otherwise I think you can safely assume that openbmc.org is the
“official” domain for this project.

> Are we going to move the d-bus stuff back to org.openbmc now?

If this is what people want I don’t see a problem with that.  But the
project will (eventually) own both domains, so the urgency goes down a
bit I feel.

> Personally, I would welcome that as I hate the .xyz TLD as it is
> meaningless and beside that has some not very nice connotation for any
> Russian speaker. I also think that short 'openbmc' is way more neat than
> 'openbmc-project'.
> Also, as openbmc-project.xyz is owned by Patrick Williams (as well as
> OpenBMC IANA PEN), and openbmc.org is owned by TLF, I'd say that we must
> go with openbmc.org everywhere.

We are in the process of transferring the xyz domain and the IANA PEN
from Patrick to TLF.  There isn’t any resistance on Patrick’s end, if
that makes anyone feel better.  It is just a matter of getting it done.

> However, I'd like to know the official intention.

Have I answered this?