IPMI Firmware Firewall

Alexander Amelkin a.amelkin at yadro.com
Thu Apr 19 22:52:34 AEST 2018

Well, although I've never seen this feature actually implemented
anywhere, I can imagine that it can be useful for cases when the host OS
is "owned"/managed by a different entity than the hardware. E.g. in a
dedicated server hosting or similar scenarios. The owner of the hardware
may not want to allow the tenants to be able to perform destructive or
potentially destructive operations on the BMC. I can think of
prohibiting firmware updates (even with good firmwares), user
management, network configuration, SEL and PEF/PET manipulation, et al.

Sincerely,
Alexander.