Parse PELs sent by OpenPOWER host firmware

Alexander Amelkin a.amelkin at yadro.com
Mon Apr 9 20:47:22 AEST 2018

14.03.2018 03:36, Stewart Smith wrote:
> Deepak Kodihalli <dkodihal at linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:
>> The SELs/eSELs (System Event Log) that OpenBMC receives from
>> hostboot/skiboot today are not interpreted, and are dumped as-is in a
>> property of the error log D-Bus object. This means that if there's a PEL
>> (Platform Event Log) hidden in the eSEL, admins/users of the error log
>> need to depend on external tools to parse the PEL to human readable
>> text.
> My lack of love for PELs is probably fairly well known, but even if we
> replace them down the line, I think there's opportunity here for making
> things better for users (including myself).

Just my 2 cents. The IPMI-standardized SELs are good first of all
because of IPMI-standardized PEFs and PETs.

Being able to decode the OEM SEL records is not just convenient for the
users, but will also let them easily attach PEFs to such events if they
want to. That's of course when PEFs are supported in OpenBMC which is
currently not true, AFAIK.

As a maintainer of ipmitool I can promise to promptly include the
OpenPOWER event record decoder into ipmitool upstream code. All I need
is the information on how to decode those events. So far I'm planning to
try and deduce this information from hostboot and opal sources.

I guess these logs don't need to be fully decoded at BMC or ipmitool
levels as they contain too much of a too deeply technical information,
but some high level hints beyond "Unknown #0x0c" and "System Event #0x01
| Undetermined system hardware failure" that we see now in ipmitool need
to be given to the end user.

Alexander.