RFC for Telemetry data collection

Deepak Kodihalli dkodihal at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Sep 8 13:29:19 AEST 2017

On 08/09/17 6:46 am, Brad Bishop wrote:
> Hi Tom
>
> I don’t really disagree with anything you wrote…I’m just throwing out some additional thoughts.
>
> I would propose that we:
>
> 1 - Add support to the REST server to subscribe to DBus signals, and simply forward the signal content in JSON format out over a websocket.  This allows an external user to get any async notification that any code running on the BMC can get.  I have a lot of questions on specifics here but I’ll save those for later, in case this doesn’t work out.

Brad, that sounds fine to me in terms of how a notification can be sent,
although Tom's proposal also talked about describing in yaml, how
frequently to read something off of a, say a d-bus object representing a
sensor. If I understood correctly, are you saying instead of doing this
every X hours or seconds, we send out a notification whenever a
PropertyChanged d-bus signal is caught? And let an off-BMC application
bother about averages, min/max?

Regards,
Deepak