[patch v9 1/4] drivers: jtag: Add JTAG core driver

Oleksandr Shamray oleksandrs at mellanox.com
Thu Oct 26 02:58:42 AEDT 2017

As I know misc device more applicable if we want to create one device f.e.  /dev/jtag.
But in current case we can have more than one jtag device /dev/jtag0 ... /dev/jtagN.
So I decided to use cdev.

> > > I forgot if this is what you were doing before, sorry...

> > > Why do you need this?
> >
> > This counter used to avoid open at the same time by 2 or more users.
>
> But it isn't working :)
>
> And why do you care?

> > > Huh?  Why is this needed to be dma aligned?  Why not just use the
> > > private pointer in struct device?
> > >

> > It is critical?
>
> You are saying it is, so you have to justify it.  There is a pointer for you to use,
> don't make new ones for no reason, right?

You are right. Will remove.

> > > You only use this once, why not just open-code it?
> >
> > I think it makes code more understandable.
>
> As a reviewer, I don't :)

Ok, I will fix :)

> > > Same here, making this a separate function seems odd.
> >
> > Same, I think it makes code more understandable.
>
> But it doesn't.

Ok, I will fix :)

> > > Who validates the structure fields?  Is that up to the individual
> > > jtag driver?  Why not do it in the core correctly so that it only
> > > has to be done in one place and you do not have to audit every individual
> driver?
> >
> > Input parameters validated by jtag  platform driver. I think it not critical.
>
> Not true at all.  It is very critical.  Remmeber, "All Input Is Evil!"
>
> You have to validate this.  I as a reviewer have to find where you are validating
> this data to ensure bad things do not happen.  I can't review that here, now I
> have to go and review all of the individual drivers, which is a major pain, don't
> you agree?

Agree.  I will add input parameter checking here before call device driver.

> > > Are you sure that's the correct error value?
> >
> > I think yes, but what you suggest?
>
> A fault happened, so -EFAULT, right?

Right.

> > [..]
> > > +       .unlocked_ioctl = jtag_ioctl,
> > > +       .open           = jtag_open,
> > > +       .release        = jtag_release,
> > > +};
> >
> > add a compat_ioctl pointer here, after ensuring that all ioctl
> > commands are compatible between 32-bit and 64-bit user space.
> > [..]
>
> And if you do not, what happens?  You shouldn't need it as there is no fixups
> necessary, or am I mistaken about that?

Yes, you are right. In code compat_ioctl called same function as in unlocked_ioctl.
So I can remove compat and system will always call unlocked_ioctl.

> > > Why do you care if multiple opens can happen?
> >
> > Jtag HW not support to using with multiple requests from different users. So
> we prohibit this.
>
> Why does the kernel care?
>
> And again, your implementation is broken, it's not actually doing this
> protection.  I recommend just not doing it at all, but if you really are insisting
> on it, you have to get it correct :)

I will follow your recommendations and remove it.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Thanks.
Oleksandr S