phoshor-network manager daemon + IPMI

Patrick Venture venture at google.com
Wed Oct 25 01:35:37 AEDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 3:16 AM, Ratan K Gupta <ratagupt at in.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> We have enabled the link local address auto configuration,thats why you are
> noticing the link local address,
> But as a side effect of this,you should not notice this problem that the
> DHCP IP has not get assigned to the
> BMC.
>
> Please try the "ip addr show dev eth0" instead of ifconfig.
>
> Now days kernel supports ip aliasing where a single interface can have
> multiple ip adress,so on a intterface you may see link local address
> as well as DHCP assigned/Static Assigned IP address.
>
> I have tried on our setup and it is working fine.

However, have you tried updating the IP address over IPMI?  As part of
that code, it calls delete on those interfaces and IPs (all of them).
Which fails.  Should there be logic in the ipmi daemon to only delete
non-local-link addresses?  And then, if you try to delete a DHCP
assigned address, it also fails -- so how does one transition from
DHCP to static?  I'd just like to hear how these cases were tested so
I can verify the problem is on my end with my configuration, or
possibly that more work is required before this is working fine.