OpenBMC on Supermicro X11SSH-F

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Mon Oct 16 15:43:13 AEDT 2017

Hi Keno,

On Sun, 2017-10-15 at 18:33 -0400, Keno Fischer wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> as I mentioned on IRC I've been working on porting OpenBMC to the Supermicro
> X11SSH-F board's BMC (an AST2400).

Awesome!

> It's not complete (lacking most sensors, but
> does have leds and host power control), but there's enough there that I'd like to
> kick of the discussion on how to incorporate this.
>
> I should note that I have no affiliation with Supermicro and no access to the datasheet
> or schematic. What I know about the board was derived by poking the board with
> an oscilloscope.

Great work on that front.

> The patch sets are here (just so people can take a look, some of them need a bit
> of cleanup before I submit them for review):
> linux: https://github.com/Keno/openbmc-linux
> qemu: https://github.com/Keno/openbmc-qemu
> openbmc: https://github.com/Keno/openbmc
>
> With that a couple of questions:
> 1. Are you interested in having support for this board in tree?

Yes. The more the merrier IMO, as long as you're happy to keep it in good
shape.

> 2. If so, am i correct that patches
>    a. to the openbmc linux tree should be emailed here

So stepping out to generalities for the moment, we want to work upstream as
much as possible, so the strong preference is to send your patches there first.
How we work is documented here:

    https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/kernel-development.md

However given your efforts so far and that the only kernel modifications you
have (according to your fork on github) is the addition of a devicetree, I'm
keen to get this integrated into our tree for you. Please send the patch to the
list Cc'ing myself and our primary kernel maintainer Joel Stanley
<joel at jms.id.au>. Joel's currently away on holidays so I'm standing in for him.

Joel is also the upstream maintainer for the Aspeed devicetrees, so all you
should need to do to upstream the patch is rebase it onto a recent upstream tag
then send to at least Joel and the linux-arm-kernel list (feel free to Cc this
list as well).

>    b. to openbmc itself should be submitted via gerrit?

Yep. For reference Gerrit lives at https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/ but I
expect you've already found it.

>    c. to qemu should be emailed upstream with the appropriate cc?

Same model as the kernel - ideally things go upstream first, and then we suck
in the patches as we move our fork forward against upstream. However if your
patches depend on work we don't yet have upstream, send them to this list first
and we'll work our way forward. Similar to what we've documented for the
kernel, put 'PATCH qemu' in your `--subject-prefix` so we know what's what (we
track patches with our Patchwork instance[1]).

In either case (this list or upstream), please Cc myself and Cédric Le Goater
<clg at kaod.org>.

[1] https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openbmc/list/

> I'd like to thank all the people on IRC who've helped me get this up and running.
> I also very much appreciate all the work you've been doing in developing this in
> the open and upstreaming your work. I'm hoping my work on this port can help
> amplify the impact this work by making openbmc more widely available.

Thanks for your effort to expand our supported systems, and welcome to the
community!

Cheers,

Andrew