phosphor-host-ipmid and phosphor-net-ipmid architecture

tomjose tomjose at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Oct 13 17:57:35 AEDT 2017

Hey Vernon,

1)  There are few reasons for a different approach for net-ipmid

     The primary design direction when developing net-ipmid was to reuse
the provider libraries
     for the commands that are common across the interfaces. It was a
conscious decision
     to have two processes for network & BT, keeping in mind to have
small applications
     rather than having monolithic ones.

    The network handler would not be minimal like btbridge or KCSbridge,
since there are net-ipmid
    specific functionalities like session setup, serial over LAN..etc.
The only difference i see in your
    idea is we would relay the common commands on the dbus so that ipmid
would handle.

2) The phosphor-host-ipmid was developed as part of the prototyping done
for Barreleye. So i agree that
     we have quite a number of shortcomings, that it is not in alignment
with the modern C++ practices.
     We have added more code and haven't got to refactor that. We have a
story to refactor phosphor-host-ipmid.
     The plan was to handle so some of these suggestions as part of that.

    The support is in place to register each command's privilege. The
support would be completed once the
    IPMI user account management changes are in place. The command's
privilege would matter only on
    the LAN interface which is session based. In net-ipmid every command
would be checked against the
    session's privilege, so that a session with USER privilege would be
restricted from running a command
    that needs ADMIN privilege. Since KCS and BT are sessionless and
unauthenticated, this would not matter.

    Similarly System interface commands are compiled into a separate
library which is not loaded in the
    net-ipmid.

3) This is something we wanted to do, we can discuss what is the best
possible approach. This would help with
     command like Get/Set System Boot Configuration where each
implementer would get the flexibility
     to implement the OEM parameters.

  Are you working on a OEM provider library?

Regards,
Tom