OpenBMC helper scripts repositories

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Wed Oct 11 14:10:51 AEDT 2017

On Mon, 2017-10-09 at 13:00 -0500, Andrew Geissler wrote:
> Brad, Patrick, and I were also tossing around a misc tools repo under
> the openbmc umbrella a few weeks back.

Interesting, glad to hear it's already got some attention.

> I definitely vote for one!  I think the main concern was support, it
> would def be a "use at your own risk" and "patches preferred over bug
> reports" type repo.

Yeah, absolutely. This is what I was looking for as well, as a means to
merge code as quickly as possible to minimise the fragmentation. This
means things will probably be broken, but maybe we can look at
hardening the process against breakage after we've got something in
place (and are sick of it breaking).

> I know George also has a collection of tools he uses for REST
> operations as well.

Right, these would be good to include.

> > With https://github.com/geissonator/openbmc-events, I was looking to
> build a bunch of small tools, that had similar command line interfaces
> to interact with the different REST api's in openbmc.

Consistency is good (especially with respect to the REST API) if it's
easy to achieve, but I think we shouldn't get too hung up about it in
general (i.e. for tools operating outside the REST context).

What if we git-subtree the existing repos into mine? I'm happy to
maintain it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Andrew