On the state of documentation

Tanous, Ed ed.tanous at intel.com
Sat Nov 18 07:36:29 AEDT 2017

I find Hyrums law useful here here:
With a sufficient number of users of an API,
it does not matter what you promise in the contract,
all observable behaviors of your system
will be depended on by somebody.

http://www.hyrumslaw.com/

From the sounds of it, implementations are already relying on the implied contract of the existing rest interface (the webui certainly does).  Yes allowing API changes sounds reasonable, but I don't think solves the problem.  I think what we need to get better about is building APIs that don't need to break the implied contract as often.  I fully admit, it's going to be a very.... very long road to get there;  I'm mostly just trying to make sure me and my team is not on the road alone :)

> > Long term, I would like to see the existing dbus REST API moved to machine
> specific layers for the machines that want to use them, and remove it as a
> reference implementation.
>
> But it is the reference implementation of the direct-connect API.
>
> I want to poke at what it means exactly to move something to a machine
> specific layer.
>
> - Does it mean the code repository is not in the GitHub openbmc organization
> namespace?
No.  I have very few opinions on what is actually in the github organization.  The more the merrier.

> - Does it mean the recipe for the application is not in meta-phosphor?
Maybe......  We should talk through this would work mechanically (let's just add a topic for next Mondays call).  I question if a mass renaming is in the best interest of the project, or worth the effort.  Phosphor is a name.

> - Does it mean the recipe is in meta-phosphor, its just not included in an
> image by default (explicitly turned on in other layers) ?
Yes.  I think machines should opt-in to components that have known long term support deficiencies, and the components that are temporary, or we know will be replaced should have appropriate warnings.  Again.... this is a long term goal, and might be a little "pie in the sky" at this point.

> - Something else?
>
> > Maybe I'm stepping over the line?  Maybe it's too early to start talking
> transition plane, when the replacement components are in their infancy?
> > I'm not asking for a commitment here, just would like to see what other
> people's thoughts are.
>
> I’m sorry if I’m putting you on the defensive.  It's not my intent.  The intent is
> to ask probing questions to help me understand where you are coming from.

Keep them coming :)

> >> I'd support multiple interfaces (after all, IPMI and RedFish are
> >> multiple ones anyway, and IPMI is probably going to take a few more
> >> years to disappear)

> there.
> >>
> >> It might be useful for debug to keep around "forever"?
> > For debug, yes, I completely agree that server is useful and we can leave it
> in the repo, I'm less worried about debug, or giving developers and
> maintainers the option, more worried about the direct linkage from Dbus to
> end-user facing APIs, especially in a component that's labeled reference, and
> added to openbmc builds by default.
>
> If you submitted a patch that turns it off by default (and turns it back on in all
> the machine layers, to maintain functional parity with what is there today), I
> wouldn't expect any push-back.

Great!  That's exactly the response I wanted to hear.

> >> model:
> >> interfaces, nor the backend implementation language.

> > Fair point.  Yes, all these goals are things that Intel needs today for
> production interfaces.  I was trying to see if others have similar
> requirements.
> > My end goal here is not to prescribe what people are allowed to build, your
> rewording of the next point seems to render this one moot.
> >

> >> I'd say "The OpenBMC REST API is not meant to be a stable API to be
> >> consumed. It exists exclusively for debug and development efforts of
> >> OpenBMC. It may, in future, completely change or disappear."
> >>
> >> From someone consuming it, that's certainly been the experience at
> >> least :)
> > That's a much more fair wording.  On the other hand, there is a lot of
> precedence for users relying on "debug" APIs for production functionality,
> then complaining when the function breaks or disappears.  I don't have a
> solution here, just a comment.
>
> Agreed.  Is this solvable by turning it off by default and big red warning text
> somewhere?
Absolutely.

> >> white box style access to internal APIs.  Anything breaking the black
> >> box model should be done in a machine specific layer or configuration.
> >> fulfill the end user use case.
> >> users in the current model).

> >> allowed to do.
> >
> > Brainstorming for a second; What if each of these were prefixed with
> "Reference components shall: "?  Yes, some of these are a little more
> prescriptive than I'd like for an open project, but we need some way to
> convey that certain components are production ready, secure to modern
> standards, and are supportable long term.
>
> One thing to keep in mind as we brainstorm is that there is a difference
> between a component being production ready, secure and supportable, and
> usage of that component in a larger stack.
>
> For instance we could get to an impeccable implementation of the direct-
> connect API, with no security bugs, production ready, and easily
> maintainable.  There isn’t a problem until a user decides to include that
> application in their stack.
>
> >  I'd much rather see reference components fall into that category than to
> create a new system for classification.
>
> Another straw man - What if we split the phosphor layer in two or more?
>  - meta-phosphor-core
>  - meta-phosphor-extras
>
> The layers could have different themes.  The core layer, in a vacuum, could
> aspire to have a perfect security model.  Something like the direct-connect
> API would go in a different layer, since its use has potential security
> ramifications and other badness.
This is the mechanical implementation of exactly what I want.  I want to be able to say that everything in core meets some minimum level of security, licensing, code quality, and robustness.  Core and extras might be the wrong terminology, as core in some way implies required, but that's a different matter.