checkstop processing

Balbir Singh bsingharora at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 00:17:51 AEDT 2017

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:34 AM, Sergey Kachkin <s.kachkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i'm investigating the checkstop processing and looking for a way to isolate
> a faulty component with OpenBmc.
> So far SEL logs available via REST are not really helpful.
>
> Is there any data source in the openbmc to troubleshoot checkstops?

Not yet! I guess you'd want to use some of the built-in pdbg infrastructure
to look at the checkstop issues.

> I guess eSEL binary data parsed with eSEL.pl can be more informative but do
> we have any procedure to grab the binary sel data and parse it with the
> latest obmc?

The workflow as I understand is

1. run IPMI commands from another host, extract eSEL logs
2. Decode those logs with eSEL.pl

Hostboot has gotten better at decoding checkstops at boot, so thats a
good first step

> Currently it seems that IPL checkstop analysis is not really working. i mean
> that faulty component is not deconfigured on the next boot and gard list is
> empty.
> It can be easily duplicated by injecting an error manually via putscom.

I've seen the opposite to be honest. What error are you injecting?

Balbir Singh.