Yocto, Kernel and OpenBMC security maintenance

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Tue Nov 14 12:04:56 AEDT 2017

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Xo Wang <xow at google.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Andrew Jeffery <andrew at aj.id.au> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2017-11-07 at 15:56 +1030, Joel Stanley wrote:
>> > On todays community call we chatted about security updates for the
>> > project. Nancy pointed out that there tools in the tree that are many
>> > versions out of date and have security fixes available, but not
>> > applied to our tree.
>> >
>> > To date there has been no focused effort on ensuring known
>> > vulnerabilities are patched, weather this be backporting patches or
>> > updating to newer releases. I suggested we focus on ensuring the
>> > OpenBMC tree, as the upstream for our products, is where security
>> > fixes are applied.
>>
>> For what it's worth there's some discussion of upgrading to Yocto 2.3
>> and what we might do to better track master on the issue tracker:
>>
>> https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/2461
>>
>> I agree we need to improve how we track things such as security patches
>> that go into upstream.
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Any opinions on whether to merge point releases (e.g. currently 2.2.x
> releases) or to continuously pull in from the stable branch (e.g.
> currently yocto's morty branch)?

I maintain the openpower host firmware build system, where we use
buildroot. There I merge in point releases as a rule, but if there's a
fix in the stable tree that we need I have merged it immediately.

I propose these become our rules, in order of preference:

1. Point releases are merged in as they appear
2. If you have a fix you want merged in that is not in a point
release, we can merge the stable branch
3. If you have a fix merged upstream but not in a stable tree, we can
cherry pick that commit

> Also does anyone have objections to pulling in 2.2.2 at this time? It
> could potentially be painless. The fixes we'd get are noted in release
> notes.
> https://www.yoctoproject.org/downloads/core/morty221
> https://www.yoctoproject.org/downloads/core/morty222

Looks fine to me. Can you coordinate with Brad on how we want this done?

We should also create a plan for moving to 2.3 or 2.4.

Cheers,

Joel