Out-of-band SRESET

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Fri Mar 17 02:37:56 AEDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 01:32:52PM +0530, Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One requirement from a OpenPOWER service point-of-view is to be able to
> trigger an out-of-band SRESET on a unresponsive system. We can then have
> the necessary plumbing in the host Linux kernel to either drop the
> machine into a debugger or trigger a dump capture, if configured.
>
> On P9, this would translate to a series of SCOM operations for the SBE
> It would be good to have a REST API defined to cater to this specific
> purpose.
>
> The API should cater to:
> - SRESET a core
> - SRESET a chip
> - SRESET all cores
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Regards,
> Ananth

Ananth,

I understand the desire from your end with respect to debugging the
host.  Is there something we can do to model this better from a REST
perspective to make this less Power-specific?  Do other architectures
also have a "send debug interrupt"?

Do you need to SRESET targeting an SMT thread?  We will need to come up
with some kind of identifier for sending the debug interrupts.

--
Patrick Williams