determining host state after a bmc reset

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 08:13:04 AEDT 2017

Any thoughts out there on a good way to determine if the host is up
and in a good state after a BMC reset?  This of course is without
persisting anything into the filesystem about the host state, I'd like
to just discover it.

I'm currently going down a path where I'm going to first look at
pgood, and if it's on, I'll use the SMS attention path to 'ping' the
host and verify it's running.

I'll need to fix up the SMS attention path (currently openbmc hard
codes the SMS attention and response to the host to tell it to do a
soft power off).  I'll change things around a bit to do the SMS, and
then when the host responds, to do nothing except mark a ticky that
says it responded.

Andrew