Handling BMC Reboots when Host is Running

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Thu Mar 2 12:01:43 AEDT 2017

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 3:33 AM, Andrew Geissler <geissonator at gmail.com> wrote:
> My story this sprint, https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/1094,
> is to allow the BMC to be rebooted while the host is up and running.

Cool. In addition to this work, we need to make sure the required bits
of the Aspeed hardware are not reset to a default state, either by the
SoC's reset mechanism, or by the loading of drivers.

GPIOs are a good example of this. When we know that the host is
already up, any access should read the current state of the GPIO and
before it does any toggling. Another is the operation of flash (which
will now need to be handled by mboxd).

I realise this is outside the scope of your "lets get the targets
sorted" work. I thought I'd mention it now so we can be on the look
out for strange behaviour as you do your rework.

Cheers,

Joel