Switch up eth0 and eth1 to BMC shared and dedicated resp. ( Zaius )

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Tue Jun 27 09:05:59 AEST 2017

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 03:00:30PM +0930, Joel Stanley wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 2:33 AM, Adriana Kobylak <anoo at us.ibm.com> wrote:

Most Linux distros have moved away from 'ethN' style naming and to
"something else".  My laptop's network interfaces are named 'enp0s31f6'
and 'wlp4s0' for the ethernet and wireless interfaces respectively.

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

According to that, the default order of naming we should be getting is something
like this:

1. Names incorporating Firmware/BIOS provided index numbers for on-board devices (example: eno1)
2. Names incorporating Firmware/BIOS provided PCI Express hotplug slot index numbers (example: ens1)
3. Names incorporating physical/geographical location of the connector of the hardware (example: enp2s0)
4. Classic, unpredictable kernel-native ethX naming (example: eth0)

Any idea why we are ending up with #4?  Is this due to device tree
entries / naming?  It seems like using something like #3 would get well
defined and consistent names no matter which network interface is
enabled.  It should also, in theory, make all AST2400 chips arrive at
the same names for NC-SI vs direct PHY.

--
Patrick Williams