RFC: Inventory functional state tracking

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Mon Jan 23 14:51:45 AEDT 2017

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 09:31:54PM -0500, Brad Bishop wrote:
> Looking for ideas on tracking inventory item functional state.  If this interests you, please read on.
>
> One approach would be to add a functional state DBus interface to inventory objects.  I was hoping to
> keep dynamic/state information out of the inventory namespace as much as possible, but the inventory manager
> could probably be made to set properties on an interface when specific conditions are met.
>
> Another approach would be a new class of sensor applications that do whatever is required to monitor the functional
> state of one or more inventory items.  For functional status of inventory coming from the host this would
> probably be host-ipmid.  These applications would provide sensor objects in a sensors/fault
> namespace, possibly with a xyz.openbmc_project.Sensors.Fault interface.  The fault sensor objects would be associated
> back to their inventory item via an association object.

I'm not a fan of calling something a Sensor unless it really is.  That
is what IPMI does and it ends up being a catch-all for everything else.

Something under xyz.openbmc_project.State seems more appropriate to me
but following the rest of your concept the same.

> Please poke holes..ask questions.

What process would end up managing functional states?  The same process
that handles the inventory for an element or some other process?

--
Patrick Williams