BMC and Host State Management Refactor

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jan 4 11:07:55 AEDT 2017

Andrew Geissler <geissonator at gmail.com> writes:
> 4. Provide a softReboot and hardReboot option in the host state code.
> The hardReboot would do the chassis power off (hard power off) and
> then power on.  The softReboot will work as expected and issue the
> soft power down command to the host.
> - Seems like a happy compromise in where the logic goes.  Checkstop is
> smart enough to know it needs a hardReboot and host state code knows
> how to do it.

So, we also have fast reset, which is different again, mostly in that it
has slightly different security implications.

So, we have power (off|cycle) with hard/soft shutdown and we have reboot with
hard/soft shutdown.

At least on other platforms, I think there's a similar concept, as I've
noticed that on many x86 systems if you don't cut the power on reboot,
you skip some of the POST....

thougths?

--
Stewart Smith