sbefifo userspace api

Alistair Popple alistair at popple.id.au
Sat Feb 25 16:47:50 AEDT 2017

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 10:44:03 AM Venkatesh Sainath wrote:

> On 24/02/17 11:44 AM, Alistair Popple wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 10:01:15 PM Brad Bishop wrote:
> >> Based on what we’ve discussed here and a couple offline discussions,
> >> I’m making some assertions below.  I’d like for this note to be a
> >> “last call for discussion” (as much as that is possible) so we can
> >> start hacking; please try and raise any concerns by sometime next week.
> >>
> >> - sbefifo DD will implement read and write system calls.  A write
> >> will put data in the upstream fifo.  A read will pull data out of
> >> the downstream fifo.
> Brad,
>   Thanks for summarising the discussion. Instead of independent
> read/write calls, I was looking for a single ioctl(submit) operation
> which would always do a write of the incoming data packet to the
> upstream fifo followed by a read of a byte stream from the downstream
> fifo. There can be multiple users who open file descriptors to the sbe
> fifo in write mode. However, each ioctl(fd,submit,data) operation will
> be protected such that no two submit operations will happen in parallel.
> This way (a) the users dont have to know the semantics of the sbe fifo
> status bits ( data valid / end-of-transmission) and (b) there wont be
> any collision of write and read operations between two users. I am
> hoping this does not violate any linux DD norms.

It kind of does imho :-)

There is no need for an ioctl() to submit a data packet.

A write to a fd is the submission and can block until the fifo is free
and a read can block until a response is recieved for that fd. If
blocking is a problem we can implement async io
(ie. poll/select). Obviously this will require the kernel driver to
queue up requests to allow the resource to be shared.

Userspace does not and should not be exposed to any of the data
valid/end of transmission status bits - these should be dealt with by
the kernel.

This is very similar to the BMC BT driver (which is also just a fifo
with status flags). Main difference is you need to support multiple
open fd's.

- Alistair