Target name refactoring

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Wed Feb 22 14:00:38 AEDT 2017

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Andrew Geissler <geissonator at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some design decisions came out of my last set of changes in the
> OpenBMC state area.  There was a proposal to rename our targets
> responsible for booting and powering on/off the system.
>
> Currently we have this:
> - PowerOn: obmc-power-chassis-on.target    obmc-chassis-start.target
> - PowerOff: obmc-power-chassis-off.target    obmc-chassis-stop.target
>   obmc-stop-host.target
>
> The obmc-power-chassis-*.targets are responsible for doing whatever is
> required to apply pgood to the chassis.
> The obmc-chassis-*.targets are responsible for starting and stopping
> all host related services
> The obmc-stop-host.target is where we have the soft power off service
> (notify host of shutdown, wait for host to shutdown gracefully)
>
> Refactoring Proposal:
> - First the chassis-start and chassis-stop target names don’t make
> sense anymore with the new bmc, chassis, and host state break down’s
> so:
>   - Rename obmc-chassis-start.target to obmc-start-host.target
>   - Rename obmc-chassis-stop.target to obmc-stop-host.target
>   - Rename the current obmc-stop-host.target to obmc-shutdown-host.target

Can I suggest putting the host before the action?

obmc-host-stop
obmc-host-start
obmc-host-shutdown

> The target relationships are then the following:
>
> obmc-host-start.target requires obmc-power-chassis-on.target
> obmc-shutdown-host.target requires obmc-stop-host.target requires
> obmc-power-chassis-off.target

obmc-host-start requires obmc-chassis-poweron

obmc-host-shutdown requires obmc-host-stop requires obmc-chassis-poweroff

I think the rest of your proposal sounds good, from what I understand.

Cheers,

Joel