How to deal with failing services in the boot targets

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 03:32:05 AEDT 2017

Some updates on this topic as I've gone into implementation.

The use of "system" in the quiesce target resulted in a lot of
discussion.  What's a system in relation to a chassis or host?  We
then started discussing blade centers (1 bmc to many blade servers)
and high end servers (1 bmc to many chassis).

This also led to discussion on whether we can really do a generic
recovery when the chassis power on target vs. the host start target
fails.

The outcome was the following:
- We'll rename the  obmc-quiesce-system at .target to
obmc-quiesce-host at .target.  We'll create an instance per host (which
is currently 1 for all systems).
- When the chassis power on target fails, we'll have it's
"onFailure=chassis power off" instead of quiesce.  The power on should
be very minimal and if we fail, the only recovery is to power off and
try again.  When the host start target fails, we'll go to the host
quiesce target.  The recovery from that could be to power on/off again
but it could also be to just re-run the host start target (i.e. leave
chassis power on).

Also, Brad noted in the code review that we should not be putting the
target to service dependencies in the target files.  The target files
are meant to be generic to allow different implementations on the
services required to achieve them.  Instead, I'll be putting the
relationship into the recipe files.

If you'd like to follow along on the reviews:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/2253/  # doc updates
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/2115/  # target and recipe updates

Andrew