OpenBMC community telecon - 11/27 Agenda

Michael.E.Brown at dell.com Michael.E.Brown at dell.com
Sat Dec 23 04:21:05 AEDT 2017

We have spent almost two years now writing a comprehensive SELinux policy for our product. Our current shipping product has SELinux enabled and in "permissive" mode for field testing. Our next major release will have SELinux in enforcing mode, barring major issues in testing. We just had outside security auditors take a look at the implementation and I must say that I'm very pleased with the outcome.

<soapbox mode="on">
I strongly encourage every embedded project to have a comprehensive SELinux policy, to enable that policy at the earliest possible opportunity during development, and to have a robust solution and development methodology to run all daemons as NON-root. My personal experience is that it is extraordinarily difficult to retrofit SELinux policy onto a legacy codebase and that it is very difficult to convert an existing codebase running as root to full non-root. What tends to happen is that unrelated things get stuffed into the "wrong" places and things break in both spectacular and subtle ways, sometimes at the same time, when you try to do the conversion from root -> noroot and DAC -> MAC. The earlier you make this transition, the easier things are, long term.
</soapbox>

My biggest problem right now with openbmc is that everything runs as root and there is no selinux. Huge step backwards for me. :)  This is one major thing that I would like to help drive in OpenBMC.

If you run all the daemons as different users, that tends to sort out design issues.

Now, on to the good stuff I can say: The openbmc design lends itself *really* well to both non-root and SELinux. Having DBUS as the common interface should let us do something like:
	- phosphor-hwmon runs as "hwmon" user and group. (systemd service file settings User=, Group=)
	- phosphor-hwmon installs systemd-tmpfiles to change file ownership of the sysfs files needed to run hwmon daemons as hwmon user
	- phosphor-hwmon installs DBUS policy files to allow itself to own the dbus endpoints
	- phosphor-hwmon dbus policy files specify a group that can be used to call the dbus endpoints (eg. "hwmon_read")
	- On the other side of this, the thermal daemons run with supplementary groups "hwmon_read" (systemd SupplementaryGroups=)
	- SELinux policy written for phosphor-hwmon that allows it to *only* read hwmon sysfs files, and talk to DBUS.

--
Michael