Host factory reset - version priorities

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 06:14:26 AEDT 2017

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 10:43 PM, Michael Tritz <mtritz at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> What should be happening on a host factory reset?
>
> Suppose we have a machine with two host versions uploaded - one active, one
> not. Currently, the host factory reset will clear the persistence files with
> which we store the priority information for these versions. The next time
> the host software updater is started, both versions are left with priority
> of 255, and one of the two (maybe it's random, maybe it's based on upload
> order) is selected as the active host version.
>
> Is this the desired behavior? Would it be better to instead retain the
> version priority through a reset, or is clearing that setting under the
> scope of "restoring factory settings"?

I do not thing we want to lose the priority on a factory reset.  We
have to ensure we always
use the firmware level that the user last activated, no matter what.
The "spirit" of a factory
reset is to clear any changes done by the user to defaults of the
firmware.  Ensuring we boot with the right
level of firmware is still required after a factory reset.

Andrew