What does it take for OpenBMC to merge code

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Wed Aug 23 14:23:53 AEST 2017

Hi Chris,

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 12:57 AM, Chris Austen <austenc at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> For a some time now a question keeps popping up. I ask others for an answer
> and get I different responses. It's time I bring this to the mailing list
> for further discussion... what will the OpenBMC project merge? If I add my
> own meta layer will it be accepted? What if I wrote a device driver that
> satisfies my own hardware needs? What if I wrote a dbus telemetry monitor
> with the capability to download results in python? The
> https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/contributing.md file goes in to
> some detail but is pretty blank on the practice of what kind of code will go
> in.
>
> So, what should the policy be?
>
> Should the OpenBMC project be a collection of random software or a
> structured framework or somewhere in between? Some pieces may need to be
> hosted independently... hosting non-comformant parts implies a level of
> support and maintenance which is something we should not be doing.

I'd like to see an inclusive policy to start with. We've seen several
approaches to an open source BMC stack over the past year, with
Facebook's initial Yocto-based OpenBMC, the OpenWRT based design,
IBM's 'phosphor' yocto layer, and Mellanox's OpenIPMI based variant.
They are all interesting in their own way, and bring their own
strengths to the project.

Having this list be a central place to collaborate would be my initial
goal. From there we can refine the direction for the project, and
introduce some guidelines that direct future development. Things like
the use of D-Bus, and Redfish REST APIs, are areas that we appear to
have common ground.

Cheers,

Joel