Design proposal on removing /org/openbmc/settings/boot_policy"

Deepak Kodihalli dkodihal at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Aug 18 02:49:34 AEST 2017

On 17/08/17 9:03 pm, vishwa wrote:

> One of the comment from Deepak in the review was : "If something is
> ONETIME, then should we save the corresponding Mode / Source to the
> Flash and I said the answer was "Yes". I see what is being said here in
> the email is different from what the comment was before.
>
> If a setting is ONETIME, then the host comes down and sets the property
> to DEFAULT and does not do anything with PERMANENT.
>
> https://github.com/open-power/petitboot/blob/master/discover/platform-powerpc.c#L874
>

> I don't think so we are introducing any new behavior here. All that was
> done before is being moved to this new D-Bus object.
> If something needs to be treated PERMANENT, then it needs to be set by
> the user as it was before.

Vishwa, I suppose the concern is that we're relying on a specific host
behavior, and we're also assuming the host will perform certain actions
as per the IPMI specification. So all this is fine as long as these
assumptions hold, but they may not always.

In other words, the BMC must not assume it's safe to overwrite a
persisted permanent setting with a onetime setting in the assumption
that a host will overwrite that value again with a default/permanently
desired setting.

Regards,
Deepak