[RFC v1 0/4] ipmi_bmc: framework for IPMI on BMCs

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Tue Aug 15 02:03:12 AEST 2017

On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 08:52:57PM -0700, Brendan Higgins wrote:
> Currently, OpenBMC handles all IPMI message routing and handling in userland;
> the existing drivers simply provide a file interface for the hardware on the
> device. In this patchset, we propose a common file interface to be shared by all
> IPMI hardware interfaces, but also a framework for implementing handlers at the
> kernel level, similar to how the existing OpenIPMI framework supports both
> kernel users, as well as misc device file interface.

Brendan,

Can you expand on why this is a good thing from an OpenBMC perspective?
We have a pretty significant set of IPMI providers that run in the
userspace daemon(s) and I can't picture more than a very small subset
even being possible to run in kernel space without userspace assistance.
We also already have an implementation of a RMCP+ daemon that can, and
does, share most of its providers with the host-side daemon.

--
Patrick Williams