Discussion on GPIO monitoring and design thoughts.

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Tue Apr 18 11:26:15 AEST 2017

On Thu, 2017-04-13 at 16:24 -0700, Kun Yi wrote:
> What about applications that need to monitor and set GPIOs rather than
> monitoring them only?

The proposed approach isn't great for that as we have the inconsistent
interfaces, but we do have functional debouncing. Ideally we would be
able to set GPIO pin configurations through the chardev interface, but
we can't do that (yet).

>  gpio-keys won't be suitable, and new cdev
> interface doesn't support writing to GPIOs yet.

Writing GPIOs through the chardev interface is supported as of v4.8-
rc1, so moving to 4.10 will enable it.

> Also could someone point me to 'libgpio' interfaces mentioned here?

From my conversations with Vishwa what he meant here was the chardev
interface, and there is no actual 'libgpio'.

Cheers,

Andrew