thermald for OpenBMC

Patrick Venture venture at google.com
Tue Apr 18 06:21:29 AEST 2017

I'm working on a thermal control loop that'll operate within the openbmc
framework(s) and wanted to provide a somewhat high level overview for
thoughts.

The general design is to have a daemon that reads fans and temperatures
from dbus (reaching out to phosphor-hwmon) as well as being able to receive
temperatures and other sensor information over an OEM IPMI command.

The system will support zones defined (yes, probably in YAML).  A zone will
have at least one exclusion fan, and at least one thermal sensor.  The
thermal sensor can be shared.  There will be defaults provided in this
configuration to act as fallbacks.

The thermal loop will be margin based and attempt to drive the fans to
maintain the temperature within operating temperature of the zones.  Each
zone will be independently managed.

Because not all thermal sensors can necessarily be ready by the BMC, we
need a method of getting that information from the host.  From a previous
project, we have the notion of sending thermal margins for slow and quick
(heat change) devices to a controller.

Regards,
Patrick