Plans for BMC i2c to host bridge via IPMI

tomjose tomjose at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Apr 13 05:51:10 AEST 2017

Hello Peter,

As i understand you would be leveraging the BT(Block Transfer) interface
to route commands from host to BMC.

 From the IPMI specification it looks like this can be a generic one
implementation instead of implementing
OEM commands.

Implementing the IPMB interface (Section 7) in the IPMI specification
would probably suit your requirement.
The following commands should help us achieve the goal: Master
Write-Read command, Get Message command
and Send message command.

I am thinking that IPMB interface could be a dbus service which parses
host IPMI commands and maps to an I2C read/write.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
Tom