iface is not coming back up fully after ifdown

Maxim Sloyko maxims at google.com
Sat Apr 1 04:25:15 AEDT 2017

Hi all,

I ran into what I think is a bug with networking interface, but I'm
not sure what exactly is broken.

If you bring the interface down (ifconfig eth1 down) and then try to
bring it up (ifconfig eth1 up) it does not fully recover. That is, it
shows up as RUNNING in ifconfig, you can set up ip/netmask/gw and try
sending packets, but nothing ever shows up at the other end of the
wire.

If you unplug the ethernet cable and then plug it back in (thus
resetting the phy, I believe?), the interface starts working again. I
tried this with Zaius and  EVB (which have different PHYs) and it's
broken like this on both.

I suspect that as part of IFF_UP flag handling the kernel (drivier?)
needs to also reconfigure the link with PHY, but it's not doing that.
I don't know how this works in the kernel though, so I would
appreciate any pointers to where I should start digging.

Thanks!

--
Maxim Sloyko